Is it time to renew your passport? If you’re like me and your passport was issued over 15 years ago, it can no longer be renewed. You must apply for a new passport. An American passport is usually issued for ten years. If your old passport has been expired for more than five years, here are the steps for applying for a new one:
- Fill out the application. You can download and print out a copy or pick one up from your local passport application acceptance facility (usually a courthouse or post office). DO NOT sign the form until you are instructed to do so in front of the passport designated official where you decide to submit your application.
- Gather personal documents:
- An original proof of citizenship document (expired passport can be used)
- An acceptable photo ID document
- A photocopy of the front and back of the photo ID document
- A recent passport photo (taken less than six months ago)
- Calculate passport fees.
- Once you have completed the form and gathered all the supporting documents, you need to visit an application acceptance facility. Passport applications must be submitted in person. Most passport agencies require an appointment. Be sure to call them before you visit.
NOTE– A traditional U.S. passport has 28 pages. If you travel frequently, check the “52 page” box at the top of your passport application to receive a larger passport book for no additional charge! If you run out of pages in a traditional sized passport, you can have extra pages added for an $82 fee. Plan ahead for extensive travel and save some money by requesting a 52 page passport book when you apply.
This information and more can be found on the USA.gov website. Hope this was helpful. Let’s get those passports ready so we can start taking trips around the world! Let’s go global and be the world explorers we were meant to be!